Sunday, December 13, 2009

Laundry

Laundry

Generally, flats are furnished with a washing machine. Occasionally, with a clothes dryer. Our flat as is aimed to rent short term (perhaps very short term like 3 days) and so it doesn’t have a washing machine much less a clothes dryer. There lies the quest for finding where do to the laundry. By the information given to me by the landlord, one is not too far from our flat. Being so new though, I wasn’t inclined to get to know the bits and pieces of where it can be found. Until we were running out of fresh clothes to wear.

Luckily, I was instructed by one travel agent (Jana of Pergo.sk) where I can do the laundry. When her machine broke down, she had to find one herself. And so there is one in Karlova Ves at Matejkova 1 (flipperwash.sk). As if getting there was the easiest thing to do, I had to carry a heavy loaded bag to get to the bus stop. Of course, I missed my stop and headed until the end of the bus line. Great! I started to walk back until a supermarket signage showed how far it still is, one kilometer. I walked back to the bus stop and wanted to buy the ticket. What happened? The ticket machine was broken. What to do? In this area not a lot of people spoke English. So I was left there looking left and right what to do. Fortunately, there was a Korean who sold me a ticket. So off I went with the bus. Again.

Arriving at Flipper Wash, I didn’t know what to do. In my entire life, I never went to do laundry outside. Even worse were the instructions in Slovak. But the lady was very kind enough to show me with hands, fingers, feet whatever how to wash. First, the detergent, which I of course forgot at home, so I needed to buy for two loads. Then, the tokens. No need anymore to have just coins, the token automat also accepts Euro bills. 2 tokens (4.50 Euro in total) are needed for one washing of up to 6kg. You need to choose a smaller machine for this weight. The bigger ones are of course for the bigger loads. Then you choose the temperature for washing. Just remember to look at the clothes tag for the temperature one can use. I used 40 degrees Centigrade. It showed I needed 30 minutes to wait for washing.

What is there to do? Go out? Walk around? Shop? I started to bring out the computer to write my articles for this blog. I finished the first two until a gentleman my age with his dog Buni started a conversation. He could very well speak English and is in the military service. Nice person.

Washing finished. Now to dry the clothes is again another system to learn. Now you really need Euro coins to wash clothes. Plus it was promised to me by the lady that I could mix the whites and the blacks together while drying. I was very skeptical! Another 30 minutes and voila. My laundry was done.

As I unpack the bag at home, I check all the clothes and everything smelled fresh and clean. When I separated the men’s shirt, the size did not look so much for men anymore. It shrank! Well, I did not look at the tag how hot one could wash it. Let’s just say I gained again another dress shirt for me!

Happy washing!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tale! I am currently here in Bratislava for business training (for a month), and currently searching for laundromat. Glad I saw this blog :) Hotel laundry service is quite expensive and we need to balance the budget assigned for laundry. I will check this place and hopefully not that far from the Old Town where we are staying :D Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete